Sunday, June 16, 2013

While You Were Sleeping


clouds gather on the horizon, and i lay in bed with my legs twisted in the sheets.
the stars outside my window burn with their own light
and tonight i wish to be with them alone.
i go to the open window, push aside the screen and climb out…
i leave not even a backward glance at your smoothly breathing sleeping form.
the wind picks me up easily, and carries me through the gentle night.
i can hear you calling me, needing me,
but do you understand that i wish to be alone right now? 
i will return on the flickering red mane of the morning,
smelling like the wild, sleepless sea
and ready to be back in your arms.
do not try to keep me from wandering;
watch me with tired eyes as i leave the room
and smile, knowing i’ll be back with gifts and stories
of all the secret places in my heart that i explored while you were sleeping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment