Friday, July 26, 2013

Despair Every Morning


i stand before you with my arms spread open wide
i am smiling as stars trickle from my eyes.
i am so grateful to be alive, to taste this food on my tongue,
to hear your voice, to take a deep satisfying breath.
i am so grateful to be drying these dishes, standing next to you.
i think about the snowy peaks of mountains
and i wish i were there in that silent, freezing cold
so I could appreciate my numb toes and icicle hair.
everything is a delight to me now:
the roughness of the page of a book,  the smell of flowers on the breeze,
riding in the car, painting the shed.
even the anger and frustration i sometimes feel
is an absolute delight.
despair is the best alarm clock ever made,
but right now my life feels like laying in your bed at night,
after a long day and a hot shower
with nothing to look forward to but eight hours
on your softest pillow, and a good breakfast in the morning.
redemption is coming bearing gifts of love and forgiveness
and yes i know that nothing lasts forever,
one day i will get my feelings hurt again, one day i will be worried or afraid again,
but this enjoyment of every second will not go away.
i am happy to be here, happy to be alive, and i am ready,
even if i have to be woken up by despair every morning-
at least i’m awake,
and if i’m hating you
know that i’m enjoying hating you
and if i’m loving you
know that i’m enjoying loving you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment